Arduino connections for root procedure?

Moderator: Revue Mod

cve
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Arduino connections for root procedure?

Post by cve »

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere. Where/how do the wires from the UART1 pins connect to the Arduino? I just got an Arduino Uno and am anxious to try this out. Thanks!
cve
Android 1.0

Re: Arduino connections for root procedure?

Post by cve »

Last edited by resno on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image stretched the page.
Chinpokomon
Android 1.0

Post by Chinpokomon »

cve wrote:I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere. Where/how do the wires from the UART1 pins connect to the Arduino? I just got an Arduino Uno and am anxious to try this out. Thanks!
That depends on the output for the serial port on your board there... the UART works in 3.3v TTL.

The steps to get root are listed on this page: http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/Steps_to_get_root

For connecting the UART, you will want to go TX -> RX and RX -> TX, connect 3.3v to 3.3v, and gnd to gnd. Typically the 3.3v pin is to supply power to the serial device, so it isn't likely needed, but the other 3 pins are.

Now from what I can tell about what you are showing, you have an Arduino UNO board. This is NOT a serial port in a conventional sense. From what I'm reading,
Serial: 0 (RX) and 1 (TX). Used to receive (RX) and transmit (TX) TTL serial data. These pins are connected to the corresponding pins of the ATmega8U2 USB-to-TTL Serial chip.
but I don't know if you can connect straight to it and use it as a serial device... seems likely though. The biggest hurdle I see, is it seems they operate at 5v. Now you could use some resistors and bring the 5v signals down to 3.3v, but if you aren't already familiar with how to do something like that, this hardly seems the place to learn, especially when there are better options out there.

Basically, you have a really great Arduino board there, but I don't think you're going to be happy using it as a serial device. I'd look for something else. There are dirt cheap serial boards available that will suit you better. I tried to use this serial device http://www.ilovemyxo.com/product/olpc-x ... erkit.html, but apparently my refurbished Revue had already been updated. I was trying to fix my XO, and needed the serial device, so this worked at in the end as a win/loss for me, but I believe this would have worked perfectly had I had a brand new Revue.
viking
Android 1.0

Post by viking »

You have to put the Arduino into Tri-state mode and it essentially becomes a USB-TTL-UART device.

Once its in Tri-state mode you can use the serial Rx & Tx pins with Ground. There is no need to connect the power ( Vcc ) pin. Basically you will need to connect the Rx, Tx and Gnd pins to Arduino and use it as a serial device.

How-to put it in an Uno into tri-state mode:
"Wire a jumper from a Arduino ground pin to the Arduino reset pin. This will hold the processor in reset and free all it's I/O into tri-state mode. You are then free to use the serial pins"

Here is a link on how to set the Arduino into Tri-state mode.
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 1258845741

I used the this method to for my Revue and it worked as I already had an Arduino with me. You may have to reverse the Rx and Tx pins if the original connection doesn't work.

Hope this helps.
resno
The Green One

Post by resno »

also the steps are outlined on the wiki: http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/Steps_to_get_root
General Person Of Interest
Want to give back? :: Bitcoins :: Hardware ::